Year 7 and 8 have now become an accepted part of The University High School, and the successful integration of these students into a school of academic tradition without facilities for practical subjects has been an achievement. Much of the success derives from Mr Clark’s institution of “Mini Schools” to monitor the work of junior students and cater for their pastoral needs. These “Mini Schools” bear the honoured names of Sharman, Brookes and Chapman.
This institution was founded in 1893, and was, at first, located in the then disused Teachers’ College (now part of the Melbourne College of Advanced Education) on the corner of Swanston and Grattan Streets, Carlton. In 1900, the school was moved to a building opposite the Trades’ Hall in Victoria Street, and in 1912, it was closed.
Before our present school came into being, there existed in Melbourne a privately owned and operated school by the name of “University High School”.
This magnificent photograph of the Story Street School was taken in 1949 by a student of the time, Rod Lingard. Where are all the cars?
The Lygon Street School - photographed in 1966, just before its demolition