Enrolment information for years 8-12

General information

Not all students who seek admission to The University High School can be accommodated. Parents who feel that the learning of their child would be best fostered at The University High School are invited to make an application.

It is Government policy that parents may apply for a place on behalf of their child in any Government School regardless of where they live. The University High School is held in high regard and, consequently, experiences a very heavy enrolment demand. The School is constantly liaising with the Department of Education and Development (DET)regarding the management of enrolment applications which greatly exceed the capacity of the school.

The information on this page outlines the procedures which have been adopted to process all applications in an open, consistent and equitable way. The School has an Enrolment Committee that processes all applications.

Criteria for enrolment Years 8-12

Places at The University High School will be allocated in the following priority order.

1: Permanent Residency in the School’s Zone

Please note the school's attached neighborhood map is a hand-drawn guide only to the designated school zone. Where the boundary travels along a street, our zone is the innermost sides of these streets. Where the boundary is difficult to determine, (eg: where it cuts across streets on an angle) the school refers to GPS generated digital maps for clarification. The requirement of permanent residency in the zone means:

  • The requirement of permanent residency within the neighborhood area will be actively monitored and enforced.
  • The expectation of this eligibility requirement is that the family will remain permanent residents within the zone for the duration of their child’s education at The University High School. Those families that move out of our zone will be expected to relocate their children to their new neighbourhood school. For accurate school records, parents are required to update residency details each year. It is the family’s responsibility to immediately notify the school of any change of address and contact details during an enrolment period and/or when any details change after the student has commenced at the School.
  • The ownership and occupation of a residential property in the school’s designated neighbourhood zone OR A long term lease (a minimum of 12 months and concurrent with the year of entry) in the school’s designated neighbourhood zone. Evidence of a renewed lease within the school zone will be required whenever a lease expires. Property and lease name must be under the parent's name. A lease completed through a registered Real Estate Agent is required. A private rental agreement ie: between landlord and tenants, is not acceptable.
  • Staying with a relative or friend does not qualify as “residents”. Also, guardianship is not a criterion for enrolment unless supported by relevant legal documentation.
  • Proof of permanent residency is required before the enrolment process can begin. This includes documentation as per dot point 1 above as well as three utilities bills and parent identification documents.

2: Siblings

Siblings of currently enrolled students, who will continue as students in 2018, will be offered places based upon available spaces and in order of the proximity of their permanent residence to the School.

3: Curriculum

Students who seek enrolment on specific curriculum grounds

Application procedures for students going into Years 8, 9 10 and VCE

Application forms for entry into Years 8, 9, 10 will be available from the start of Term 3. Please phone 9347 2022 to request that an application form be posted to you. The applicants will be notified within two weeks of the closing date for General Entry which will be late October. All unsuccessful applicants will be advised by letter as soon as possible after this time. Applications will be considered by The Enrolment Committee in the order set out below.

  1. Students for whom this is the nearest Government School to the true and permanent place of address of the student’s custodial parent or legal guardian (for which documentary proof is required). Further details of the residential criteria are included in the application for enrolment form.
  2. Siblings of currently enrolled students who will continue as students at The University High School in 2018. Places will be offered based on availability and proximity of permanent residence to the School and other personal and curriculum needs.
  3. Students seeking enrolment on specific curriculum grounds (e.g. prior learning of an orchestral instrument; and/or a foreign language offered at The University High School).

The Enrolment Committee may wish to interview applicants, seek referee statements from the current school and/or read the reports from the school currently attending. The head of Music may arrange for Curriculum (music) applicants to be auditioned.

VCE – Years 11 and 12

Applications for places in VCE will be considered by the Enrolment Committee. The Committee assesses applications on evidence provided of the applicant’s relative capacity to complete successfully the VCE course, the relative merit of each applicant, and the availability of places in the various subjects. Living in the zone or completing a successful enrolment application does not guarantee VCE subject choices. Many VCE subjects are filled by students currently enrolled at the school and therefore are not available to new enrolments. This possible limitation of subjects being available for selection must be taken into account when considering enrolment and it is recommended that other educational alternatives be taken into consideration.

Music placement

This school is recognised as a specialist Music School, and may be able to offer a small number of curriculum (music) places to students in Years 8 - 12. Such applicants need to include detailed evidence of musical interest and ability. Auditions may occur. Students who accept Music Places also accept an obligation to participate in music activities and to study music (both theoretical and practical) to the Year 12 level.

Information for all applicants who are permanent Australian residents

The eligibility of a student to enrol in a Victorian Government School is determined by the student’s age, course of study and residential status. Students who have Australian Permanent Residency or are deemed equivalent to Australian residents are eligible for enrolment in Victorian Government Schools.


Information for Australian temporary residence applicants

Prospective applicants for a student place at The University High School who intend to enter or have entered Australia with a passport containing an Australian Visa which is a Temporary Resident Visa should contact the International Student Unit of the DEECD to obtain information about their eligibility to enrol in a Government School

International Student Unit

Department of Education and Training
GPO Box 4367 Melbourne,
Victoria 3001 Australia
Telephone: + 613 9651 3700 Facsimile: + 613 9651 3981
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


English as an additional language (EAL) students

Students who are recent migrants to Australia should have their language skills assessed at an English Language Centre before enrolment procedures begin. The language centre will accurately assess when the student is able to attend a mainstream school.

Enrolment notice

Please Note: The School has been receiving applications on behalf of students not yet living in Australia. Only applications for students currently living in Australia are considered. Similarly, the School has been receiving applications on behalf of students who intend to move from interstate or other zones.

Information for Australian temporary residence applicants

Prospective applicants for a student place at The University High School who intend to enter or have entered Australia with a passport containing an Australian Visa which is a Temporary Resident Visa should contact the International Student Unit of the DEECD to obtain information about their eligibility to enrol in a Government School

Department of Education and Training
GPO Box 4367 Melbourne,
Victoria 3001 Australia
Ph: + 613 9651 3700 Fax: + 613 9651 3981
Email: overseas.students@edumail.vic.gov.au

School curriculum

University High School offers a sequential curriculum in Years 7-10 across the eight Key Learning Areas (KLAs)

These are:

  • Health
  • Technology Studies
  • Science
  • Mathematics
  • English
  • The Arts
  • Languages Other Than English (LOTE)
  • Studies of Society and the Environment (SOSE)
  • Sport and Physical Education

Languages offered within the LOTE program are French, German and Latin

At the VCE level, the School provides broad curriculum diversity, with more than 30 subjects offered at Years 11 and 12. These include a number of Vocational Education and Training (VET) subjects.

The School's curriculum is structured to provide enrichment and extension opportunities. Many students in Years 10 and 11 study units normally taken at Years 11 and 12 respectively. By arrangement with the University of Melbourne, the School's academically capable VCE students can study and gain credit for first year university subjects.

Link to curriculum documents

Contact Details

Call Us
(03) 9347 2022
(03) 9347 2658
77 Story Street, Parkville VICTORIA 3052
Email UHS

Selection criteria for applications on specific curriculum grounds


  • The University High School has an extensive music program involving individual tuition in a range of music instruments, as well as an extensive orchestral and ensemble performance program.
  • Consideration will be given to evidence of the instrument/s played, the level of proficiency, prior learning and ongoing commitment to the study of the instrument/s.
  • This will be balanced by consideration of the School’s ability to provide appropriate tuition in a range of instruments at various levels.


Other claims relating to specialist curriculum at the school will be considered. However, the number of students accepted is normally very small depending on the School’s capacity to meet these needs. These applications will be assessed by the Enrolment Committee.

Enrolment constraints

  • The state government neighbourhood policy supports the belief that a student’s learning and social needs are best met by attendance at their local high school. There is, therefore, a strong expectation that families that move out of the local area will enrol their child in their new neighbourhood school.
  • The school cannot guarantee enrolment of other siblings of currently enrolled out of zone students
  • High retention rates restrict enrolments at Years 8 to 12
  • Sibling curriculum and music claims can only be given consideration after all local applications have been placed
  • Applications for transfer from nearby schools on residential criteria may not be granted
  • Enrolment applications for Year 7, 2018 received after the confirmation of year 7 places has been issued by the primary schools (August) will only be considered for local residents. Applications for years 8 to 12 received after the closing date (October) cannot be guaranteed. All other applications (sibling or curriculum) received after the application closing date will be rejected.
  • The University High School curriculum policy is to support equally both LOTE subjects offered at Year 7. Consequently preferred choices may not be available and a student may have to study a non preferred LOTE subject . Requests for specific LOTE subjects in Year 8, 9 and 10 are subject to availability of places in those classes.